Thursday 14 April 2016

Sophie, I have failed you

It is over. I have to accept that I can't finish Sophie the way I would like to, and I have to adjust the pattern to fit with what time and resources I have available to me. I feel like I have failed. It's silly, because my mum doesn't know what Sophie is supposed to look like, and it's not like I don't have a pretty impressive blanket to give to her on her birthday. The problem is that I know.

Here is where I got to as of 1am on Thursday morning (UK time):



The problem here is not even time - It is that I have run out of yarn, again. I used almost 4 entire balls of the lighter blue in that butterfly band, and I only have another two balls arriving in my next shipment. I have hit my absolute limit for buying more yarn - I have literally spent as much as I can, there is absolutely nothing left, even if I had the time to get any more delivered. The yarn I already ordered should hopefully arrive today, so I have bout two days to use what yarn I have to get as far as I can. So here is my plan:



First, I will use the yarn I have to finish the band of butterflies - that isn't an issue. But I am completely cutting out the end rows - That end band of blue would need 4 or 5 balls of blue, given the rate that I am getting through them right now. And I have never been a fan of the zigzags/diamonds on the edge - I was planning on maybe cutting those out of the blanket anyway. So cutting down the amount of yarn I need to use is my first step. Secondly, as I have low amounts of most of the other colours, I am changing the colours of the flowers and blue after the butterfly band to accommodate what yarn I do have. I currently get 1 and a bit rounds out of a whole ball. These are the colours I have left:



The leaves that would ordinarily be a light or spring green will become olive green. I plan on keeping the red for the flowers, as I now don't need the red for the edges, and the blue will then become cream.
I have no idea what colour to do the red border. The edging on the pattern requires two colours, and I don't have enough of two complimentary colours. I could use yellow instead of red for the flowers, and then use the red and the dark red-purple for the edging?

I'd definitely be open to suggestions!

No comments: