Thursday 26 April 2018

Mischievous Mister Flibble

Yes - my name is Mister Fliiiibble,
Mister Flibble, Wibble, Nibble, Dibble!
Yes - my name is Mister Fliiiiibble,
Mister Flibble, Wibble, Nibble, Woo!


Meet Mr Flibble:


Mr Flibble is a mischievous imp from the bottom of the garden. Mr Flibble likes mud pies, throwing snowballs, and making little green stains appear on your trousers when you're sitting in the grass unexpectedly. He communicates in a series of squeaks, and you can detect his presence by the mysterious rattling sound he makes wherever he goes.

Mr Flibble is a toy I made for my daughter after spending around 9 months making blankets. I needed a break!! I was so bored of squares it was unreal. I still am, to be honest... So one day I went browsing through my book collection and I found "Edward's Imagination Emporium". It's a book some good friends bought me for my birthday nearly 2 years ago, and I never really did anything with it until now. Mr Flibble is a very basic model from the book, and he took a whole 50g ball of Wilkos Stripe yarn. But he didn't take very long to work up - near instant gratification. With an large bag of squeakers and rattlers to use up from a project I never even bothered with, he seemed the perfect make.


After he was finished, I was flipping through the book and I realised I could probably make a unicorn pretty easily... So I did. Jacqson even has a butt-heart. He took me a lot longer because of his curly mane and tail though. Trying to find the time to finish each one of those spirals while wrangling a small infant was not easy. It took WEEKS. As such, I probably won't make another one!! He too used a whole 50g ball of yarn, albeit this time from Poundland sparkle yarn.


Like Mr Flibble, his arms rattle and his feet squeak. Unlike Mr Flibble, whose limbs are just sewn on as per the book's instructions, Jacqson has limbs that were crocheted into the body as I went, for safety. And if I were to ever make a third toy from the book, I would change the pattern slightly so that the limbs crochet from the feet/hands up, rather than from the shoulder/hip down. I have more faith in my starting chain to hold true and not work loose. Maybe I'm weird?

It's all irrelevant though. All that matters is that he's a hit - My daughter loves him! So, I've been inspired to make more toys for her. Plushies, stackinf rings, Amish puzzle balls, dolls, even crochet play food! She's going to be drowning in crochet toys!!


No comments: