Wednesday 16 March 2016

Close encounters of the recipient kind?

Ok, it's not quite 25% yet, and even less so when you factor in the border, but let me dream, Ok? :P
I am actually starting to get a bit burned out by this blanket. It's not that it's taking too long, or even that it bores me. It's just that I am used to being able to do something else while I crochet. Watch an episode of something on Netflix, for example. Or listen to fellow gamers on Teamspeak while I crochet in between raid pulls In World of Warcraft. Or even play a board game during our monthly board game nights. But you can forget that with this blanket. I can usually memorise a pattern during the first or second time I use it. But this blanket? Not a chance! It is besting even my memory! So many different colour changes, different stitch counts in the clusters, even hook size changes... I am sure that before I have completed the blanket I will have beaten it, but it's taking me time.

That said, it is turning into a beautiful blanket - even if I'm not being entirely well behaved and have left some ends out. And the colours are amazing. I'm not sure about the yarn though - It is a very lovely yarn, but it has a sort of 'hairy' look. I can never tell whether I have covered the blanket in cat hair, or whether it is just the 'hairy' yarn! I guess that's what happens when you use a wool/acrylic blend yarn though. And I do keep a lint roller to hand at all times - I have multiple rollers stashed throughout the house so I can always grab one in a true cat-hair emergency!



I haven't decided yet whether it is going to be big enough. I had intended this to be a blanket that my sister and brother in law (to be!) can snuggle under on the sofa and watch movies, but it is starting to look more like a lap blanket than a sofa blanket. I might yet buy some extra yarn and either extend it, or make two. His and hers! But that will really depend on how much time I have before the wedding. They get married on July 1st, so I might not have time to get a second one done. I've left it a bit late, really...

And I almost got caught 'red handed' as it were, on Friday night! My son came home from school with a raging fever, and coughing so hard he was literally making himself sick. I couldn't get a doctors appointment for him at our GP office, so I decided to take him to the 'local' walk-in centre (which isn't actually very local to us, but short of taking him to A&E, what was I going to do?) While he dozed on the chairs in the waiting room, I took the opportunity to get some extra hooking time in, and as luck would have it I happened to have the wedding blanket on me at the time. Completely in my own world (trying to make sense of the pattern in a busy waiting room) I was completely oblivious to the door opening and closing, and wasn't really paying attention. Until over the hum of conversation I was sure I could hear my sister's voice.... "No way" I thought, and turned to look at the receptionists' window. And there...standing staring at me in shock...were both my sister and her fiancee.... I just stared back for a few seconds. I couldn't quite comprehend what I was seeing - It couldn't be them....could it? I must have looked a right idiot, with my mouth open like a goldfish, eyes wide open like a deer in the headlights!! At some point I gathered my faculties enough to slide my crochet into my bag so that they couldn't see it, before engaging in normal conversation....

I have no idea whether they saw what I was working on or not, though I am relatively sure that they don't know that I'm making them anything. I could be wrong... But there's no reason for them to connect what I was doing at the time to their wedding. I guess time will tell really. I laugh about it now, but at the time I wasn't! But seriously - What are the chances of that? Absolutely mental!

No comments: