Tuesday 15 March 2016

Rainbows!!



Well, I am still waiting for my lobster clasps to come so that I can make my stitch markers. I'm beginning to feel like they'll never arrive! In the meantime, I have mostly been working on my sister's wedding blanket. It's coming along nicely, and I have managed to join the first row of panels together. I will post photos in the next day or so, when the Sun comes out (yeah, right!!) and I can take advantage of the natural light.

In the meantime, I have done a lot of work on one of my long suffering WIPs - my rainbow ripple blanket.



Yeah, that is me, at my yarn meet, with my rainbow ripple. I have been working on it for about two years now - I started it straight off the back of my son's Creeper blanket, but once I started working I just didn't have the time to pick it up any more.

The design is simple - A (UK) double treble stitch with an increase/decrease pattern to create the ridges and valleys. I picked up the pattern for it at Attic 24, and I have been working on it for so long now that I can almost do it blindfolded. That is....as long as I pick up the right crochet hook. You see - the rainbow ripple has a problem, one that I am not yet sure how to solve. I picked up the wrong hook! The first two gradients were done in a size 5mm crochet hook, but for some reason it was a 4.5mm hook in the WIP bag with the blanket. So when I have gone to pick up the blanket to start the third gradient (there will be 4 total) I have done the gradient in a slightly smaller size. This has had the effect of giving the blanket an hourglass shape - It is narrower at the bottom than at the top!



I am not entirely sure how to rectify this right now. The way I see it, I have three choices.
1) I can frog it back to the second gradient, and redo all my work in a 5mm.
2) I can continue until the end in the 4.5mm and hope it eventually stretches out through use and with a border.
3) I can switch to a 5mm hook after the third gradient, and hope that there is some way to block a blanket as large as this one, and try and stretch it out.

It will break my heart to have to redo all of the work I have put into the third gradient. This blanket is large enough for a double bed, and each row takes me over an hour with 280 stitches in it. As it is only for home use, I will try and find a way to stretch it out - so I am leaning towards the third option. It's just going to bug the Hell out if me in the meantime! And I don't even know how I will be able to block something so big. But I'm not going to give up on it!!

No comments: