Friday 11 March 2016

In lieu of lobster clasps....

Still no lobster clasps today! I'm beginning to think my mail man is holding out on me...

In the absence of lobster clasps, and being a bit burned out on my sister's blanket, I turned my attention to one of my long-suffering WIPs today. This is, or will be, my Square-a-day blanket, and it had very humble beginnings:


It started out on New Years Day, last year. The idea was to use my left over yarn from other projects, and to just do one small square a day. By the end of the year, I would have a pretty big blanket. Or so the theory went. I started off well, and for the first four or so months I religiously crocheted a square every day. And then life interfered a bit, and I ended up putting it down to focus on other things.... Well, other things being sorted, I was able to pick it up again on New Years Day this year, and have thus far - touch wood - not missed a day.
The plan is to do a different design for each month, so that the blanket is a sampler of different designs in all different colours. I will be joining them together in a simple double crochet stitch, and then edging in white. I have a specially hand dyed rainbow gradient to put a final border on it, when it's finally finished. I'm even being very good and weaving my ends in as I go....for once... :D

This month's design is a simple circle-in-a-square design:


I haven't decided yet whether I want to stop at 12 designs, as was the original plan, or whether I want to continue until the end of the year. The original plan would have somewhere around 365 squares (give or take - I might have to do more to make a full rectangle) whereas if I continue it would be closer to 480. I imagine it will depend on how many designs I can find that work in an 11 by 11 stitch square. The blanket is already looking pretty big though, and I'm only in the 7th month!


To make it worse, I am constantly browsing the web for more designs and patterns. At this rate, it will never actually be finished!

No comments: