Thursday 24 March 2016

Pocket Cats!!!



It was my son's teacher's last day of school today. We only got a couple of days warning and didn't have a lot of spare cash lying around, but he was incredibly upset about her leaving and wanted to give her a present. Of course, he only decided this yesterday, at about 6 o'clock in the evening... It's par for the course with him really - Like when he decided at the last minute that he wanted his name on the Creeper blanket I had already designed, got supplies for, and started making....

I don't really mind - but time was very short. He decided at about 6 o'clock in the evening, on a night where I had other arrangements that would keep me busy until about 11pm, and he needed the gift by 8:30 the next morning.... So what to do?

Ravelry to the rescue!!

I trawled Ravelry for ages, trying to find a gift that would not only be quick to make but one that I had the supplies for in my stash. For some reason, Home Alone 2 came into my mind - the scenes where the kid gets the two turtle doves from the Christmas tree and then gives one to the pigeon lady? I decided that it would be super cute if I made two Amigurumi minis, one for my son and one for his teacher. And with his help we decided that a cat would perfect.



I found the pattern for these on Ravelry - It's the Amigurumi Witches Cat, by Lucy Collin.

The pattern is incredibly quick to work up, albeit a bit fiddly - especially if you are masochistic like I was and use the recommended colour yarn - Black! I found I couldn't tell one stitch from another, and couldn't see where to put my hook a lot of the time. But that is a problem with my bad eyes, not the pattern at all!
I used some sparkly Poundland yarn that I had in my yarn drawers with a 3.5 mm hook, and for eyes I used some 6 mm black safety eyes. I did have larger coloured eyes, but they were brown and they just didn't look right. Since black cats are lucky, the black seemed like the perfect colour to wish his teacher all the best in whatever she does next, and I did try to add a four-leafed clover charm to the neck, but it was just too big and the poor cat kept face-planting the desk!

The cats definitely seem to be a hit - Obviously I can't know what his teacher thinks until school quitting time, but they are very popular on Facebook, and my son was showing his friends on the way into school. They all made the same "Awwwwww!!" noise. So I am assuming this is a good thing!

Now there's nothing left to do but wish his teacher all the best in her new life.

No comments: