Sunday 27 March 2016

Frozen blanket

Get it ouuuuut, get it ouuut, get this song out of my head....
Seriously, that song is driving me crazy! Every little girl I know is still Elsa crazy, even after all this time. So when it came to my niece's birthday, no other theme would do!

As my niece did not yet have a blanket - which has since become a family tradition - I wanted to make her a blanket with a Frozen theme. A C2C character blanket was on the cards, but then I came across this Dusty Snowflake throw from Red Heart. I love the Red Heart patterns because they come with nice instructions, but many of them also come with video tutorials for those who find written instructions difficult.



I didn't use the recommended yarn because trying to get the Red Heart yarn in the UK worked out at over £10 per ball. Instead I used Caron Simply Soft - 6 balls of 'Paints' in the Oceana colourway, and 4 balls of 'Party' in Snow Sparkle. As usual, I got my yarn from Wool Warehouse. This yarn was super soft, but still acrylic for better washing and manhandling.



As great as the blanket was - and it was very soft and warm - I wanted to include something that she would appreciate immediately. Sticking with the Frozen theme, I found some Anna and Elsa patterns on Ravelry. Unfortunately, the patterns are no longer available for free as the patterns have been sold to a publishing company, but the patterns work up really well and are well worth buying, should you have any Frozen crazy girls in your life.



Fortunately for me, whatever I make for my niece is very much appreciated. These items were made for her birthday 18 months ago now, and the blanket has got so much use it developed a hole!! Fortunately it was a nice easy fix, and she can use the blanket again. I love it when things get loved that much. <3

No comments: