Thursday 5 May 2016

Normal service is now resumed!

I found my phone! Well, technically hubby found my phone, in the clean laundry I hadn't folded yet. Maybe if I'd actually folded the laundry instead of crocheting, I might have found it myself! But no matter...

This means that I can share photos of my squares! Whoot!

As I mentioned in previous posts, the square for March was a simple circle-within-a-square design. I created the circle using 20 (US) double crochets, and then created the border also using double crochets. They worked up pretty quickly. This is the same pattern that I am using to create the mini blanket using the scraps from my Truly Hooked yarn club.



My squares are limited in size, because the first designs I used came from a book, and all of the designs in the book were 11 stitches square. As such, I have been trying to keep my latest squares as close to that as possible, which has meant that occasionally I need to modify the designs a little. April's design was a smaller version of the Sweetest Baby Blanket on Moogly. To make it smaller I simply restricted the squares to three rounds and three colours each.



May is a new month, and as such I don't have many squares done yet! I am up to date with the 'square a day' concept, and so I am only doing a single square a day. This month I am using the Manghan square from Look At What I Made. My squares are a little looser than the ones in the tutorial, as I am mostly using DK weight yarn with a 6mm hook, to keep the same size and tension as my previous squares. I don't think the squares loose too much from this though, and it means that if I use some of my thicker yarns later on there is room for tightening up. Currently all of these 'Manghan' squares are single colours to use up ends of balls, but I don't plan on all of them being monotone. I would like to have some variety!



As always, all of my squares are unblocked because I'm a naughty crocheter! I simply don't have the cat-free space, or the time. Or actually, even the space - cat-free or not.....



No comments: