Sunday 3 April 2016

Plushie Minecraft Creeper

What to make for my Minecraft mad son who already has everything he could possibly think of? Ok, well not everything, but he has a lot - Minecraft T-shirts, minecraft jumpers, three versions of the Minecraft game, posters, figures, keyrings, toys....the GIANT Creeper blanket I made for him two years ago?

Well, he didn't have a Minecraft plushie. So after trawling Ravelry (like hardcore drugs for idle hands) I came across this plushie creeper pattern, by Minke van der Zee. And if you go to that Ravelry page you'll find that she has more Minecraft patterns, perfect for that Mining Mad small person in your life.

I used King Cole Moods Duet yarn, in the Meadows colourway, and a 4mm hook. I was hoping that the varigation in the yarn would reproduce the speckled pattern of the Creeper texture from the game. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way as the colour changes in the yarn seemed to line up in places, making the creeper look a bit....stripey! Such things don't seem to matter to my son though! He loves this Creeper almost as much as he loves his blanket.



The creeper is made by crocheting multiple rectangles and sewing them together, rather than crocheting in the round. This is supposed to give it a more rectangular appearance. As you can see by my photos though, I seem to have completely failed at this! My creeper hasn't kept the original shape after stuffing. I'm not sure whether it needs more stuffing, or less, but it doesn't look quite as straight edged as the one in the pattern.

It is still loved though, and this makes me happy. :)

No comments: